Sunday, October 11, 2009

Mother's Guilt




This post is for my girls when they are mommies and for my mommy friends who may feel the same way.

What is it about becoming a mother that a "guilt switch" turns on? You know, the feeling of guilt you get when you even consider doing something exclusively for yourself, outside the bubble of your family? The feeling that you don't deserve to have that alone time you so desperately crave to, lets say, go to the gym or go to the mall, or heck even take a long relaxing bath. It isn't guilt that my/your husband puts on you. It is guilt you put solely on yourself. I have had many conversations with my mom about this topic and she says "Molly, all mothers go through this. This is a normal feeling, but that does not mean it is the right way to think". She is right. I think that as mothers it is so easy to lose yourself. Now, don't think that I am implying that being mother isn't wonderfully fulfilling, I am saying that for me, I am a better mother when I give myself some "time-off". My husband completely understands this about me (probably better than I understand this about me) and he frequently encourages me to take some time for myself. I think that I will always have that "guilt switch" that turns on when I need "ME" time, but I just have to remind myself that I need this and I will be a better more patient mother if I do take "time-off".

So, the point of this post is to reassure my girls for when they are mothers that the "guilt switch", this is a normal feeling, but more importantly that besides being a mother, they are still worthy of some "me" time. Being a mother is a tough job. Even people who work full-time out of the home get two 15 minute breaks, and a 30 minute lunch break. Sometimes you will need to clear your head. Your children will need a healthy and a happy mom.

Until next time......

No comments: